MACOUPIN COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY
A group of interested citizens met in early 1970 and in March 1970 formed the Macoupin County Historical Society. The Society is dedicated to studying the history of the area and collecting and preserving memorabilia of its people.
PURCHASE OF THE ANDERSON MANSION.
In 1973, the Society purchased the home of Mrs. Jessie Claude Anderson Crawford for use as the Society's museum. Special fund raisers were held to raise funds for the purchase of the Anderson home place and it's 16 acres. Final payment on the property was made in 1976.
The home was boarded up and in a very rundown condition for a number of years before the purchase by the Society. Improvements have been made as funds have been available and have encompassed every area of the home and grounds. Buildings that were torn down are: the blacksmith shop/bunk house, buggy shed, and sheep/calf shed. Formal gardens were on the west of the house, including a small oval fish pond, which has been filled in. The brick walk for the garden is still visible in some areas. A small section of the southeast corner of the property was sold before acquisition by the Society. In addition, the land south of the museum, which is now a school grounds, was originally part of the Anderson property. The home and grounds were placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1992.Joh
THE ANDERSON MANSION
This land and much more belonged to the Anderson family. In 1883, John C. Anderson and his wife, Lucy Boddie Anderson, built their one-story residence here. Their family grew and in 1892, the house was enlarged to two stories, attic, and tower as it now stands. John C. Anderson was the son of C.H.C. Anderson, owner and founder of the Banking House of C.H.C. Anderson in Carlinville.
John C. and Lucy Anderson had 8 children, 4 sons and 4 daughters; seven married and only 2 had children. Jessie Claude was born in Kentucky; John M. and Martha Rivers in Carlinville, in a house on North Broad; and the rest of the children were born in the Anderson home. The home was passed on to their six living children. John M. died in 1918 at the age of 35 from the flu, and Martha Rivers died in 1920 at the age of 34 from tuberculosis. Mrs. Crawford purchased the house from her brothers and sisters in June, 1940, and took up residence in the home.
Jessie Claude Anderson Crawford grew up in the house, spent much of her married life here, and stayed on as a widow until she could no longer keep it up. Mrs. Crawford died in 1979 at the age of 97.
SIGNIFICANT FEATURES OF THE HOUSE
* 13 rooms, full basement, attic, and tower
* Architectural style is Italianate, Queen Anne, and Stick
* 2 large double columned porches
* 2 elaborate bay windows
* 8 fireplaces - no two alike
* Oak staircase, woodwork, and flooring throughout
* Sliding pocket doors
* Geometric patterns in some of the hardwood flooring
* Woodwork is Italiante, Queen Anne - described as a flower or wheat pattern - and plain; most original hardware is still intact
* 3 bathrooms; one has all of the original fixtures; the other tow have their original marble sinks
* Large stained glass window on 2nd floor landing purchased at the World Columbian Exposition in Chicago in 1893
* Oak paneled vestibule
* Beveled fret work on first floor
* Folding window shutters
* Kitchen in barn and pavilion for serving and eating food during festivals.
* Barn #2 - Display of early farm and home equipment/furnishings
* Barn #3 - Display of large antique farm equipment
* Hays Builing used by Macoupin Agricultural Antique Association
* Blacksmith Shop
* Saw Mill
* Steam Engine
* One-room Schoolhouse
* Country Church
* Country Store
* Print Shop
* Wash House
* Granary and Herb Garden
Thus far, the society has not received government support or grants. Funds are generated fro dues, donations, admissions, fees, and program activities for upkeep, further renovations, and improvements. Board meetings are held the 4th Tuesday every month and are open to the public. Regular meetings are held the first Monday of each month - March through December. Membership is $10 per year per person, payable in March.
* Spring Festival - Memorial Weekend * Fall Festival - 3rd weekend in Septbember
* Christmas Show - 1st Friday, Saturday, and Sunday in December